Wednesday, October 15, 2014

They say time flys when you are having fun!

Not even sure where to start since I last posted! Let's go with Noche en Blanca (Saturday 10/4), the evening where there are street performances of improv or dance, free museum entrance, classical and jazz concerts, dance lessons and learning how to play different board games. Overall there was tons to do and see. My friends and I ended up going to an improv performance in the subway station and then an amazing jazz quartet of saxophones. Then we all went to go eat some tapas and chat before heading back to our respective homes. Sunday (10/5--also my sissy's birthday!), I went on a tour of Carmona where I learned about the history of the city and how it served as an important strategy city in terms of the military.

This past weekend I was in Barcelona with Greta and her friend, Jeremy. We had such a blast walking all over the city learning about the history, seeing the beautiful sights, and also making sure that Jeremy tasted all of our favorite tapas. From the museums of Picasso and Miro to hitting three world heritage sights in one day (the nativity facade of the Sagrada Familia, the Palau de Musica Catalana, and Park Guell) we made the most of our short stay. On the last night, we went to a fountain show with a mix of jazz, classical, and traditional Catalan music, which was so fun!

This week I got to go to my volunteering for the first time, which was really great! I am working at a school for children with special needs and get to go with the younger children to the pool and help them with water therapy. Each child has me or one of their teachers working with them in the water and their is an instructor for the class who first lead us through a group warm up and then told us what each child should do to help them with motor skills. The little boy I worked with, probably around 6, needed to work on walking by himself in the water, so we played keep away with some balls and also played a version of basketball. Then we showered and changed them all back into their clothes and headed back to the school. I left early since I had to go to class and I didn't know how long the walk would take, but next week I think I will have time to help them with lunch, too. The kids are very sweet and so far I think I know all of their names. Four more children are coming with us next week, which brings out number up to ten kiddos :)

Sadly, the day after volunteering I realized that I have a cold. Luckily for me, Jori knows all of the home remedies to get me back up and running. From keeping my neck warm with a scarf at almost all times to spoonfuls of lemon juice and honey mixed together (shout-out to my Dad who makes me hot water with lemon and honey when I am sick--you have an ally in your methods) and eating a spoonful of olive oil at breakfast and before I sleep, I should be better by the start of next week--fingers crossed!

1 comment: